Zacatecas Delegation - April 9-11, 2017
Thank you to the Cien Amigos members who joined the Zacatecas delegation!
Led by Sacramento County Supervisor Phil Serna, the Cien Amigos delegation to Zacatecas, Mexico, was a great success thanks to the enthusiastic participation of the Cien Amigos delegates and the cooperation and willingness to engage by our hosts.
We had meetings with Zacatecas Governor Alejandro Tello Cristerna, members of his cabinet in the areas of Education, Health, Economy, Migration and Culture as well as meeting with the President of the Zacatecas Autonomous University and a group of Zacatecas elected officials, researchers and artists.
Cien Amigos brought a message of goodwill and friendship to the people and government of the State of Zacatecas. We learned about Economic Development, Health and Education in the State of Zacatecas as well as about investment opportunities and incentives in the State of Zacatecas and enjoyed the people, culture, food and sights of the great city of Zacatecas.
Meeting with Governor Alejandro Tello Cristerna
The highlight of the trip was the Cien Amigos meeting with Governor Tello and his cabinet.
This meeting included the presentation of a Proclamation by the Sacramento County Board of Supervisors declaring April 10, 2017 "Sacramento-Zacatecas Friendship Day."
Convento de Guadalupe Museum Visit
We visited the Museo Convento de Guadalupe, Colegio de Propaganda Fide de Nuestra Señora de
Guadalupe. This former monastery played a key role in the colonization and evangelization of Northern Mexico, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California.
Visit to Silversmith Workshops and Stores
Tour of Centro Platero Zacatecas on the converted main house of the Hacienda del Conde de Bernardez. Admire and shop local designs inspired by the ironwork on windows and balconies in the stately buildings in the city.
As a result of the round table discussions we held with our hosts, a number of initiatives are on the works and will require follow-up from Cien Amigos. Among some of the notable initiatives:
- The Zacatecas Autonomous University will attend our Steps to College event in 2018.
- Zacatecas Governor Alejandro Tello will likely attend the California Mexico Advocacy Day on May 2, 2017.
- The Mexican Cultural Center of Northern California is planning a visit and workshop by Zacatecas artists.
- Cien Amigos will broker meetings with the University President and Sacramento State University, University of California, Davis, and Los Rios Community College district leaders.
- Cien Amigos will broker meetings between Zacatecas migration and education leaders with local School District members and Superintendents about teacher exchange program opportunities.
- Cien Amigos will help the Zacatecas library system to launch a website with Classics Reading for Kids in Spanish.
- Cien Amigos will work with Zacatecas University leaders to procure financing for a research project to study returning migrant students to Zacatecas and how to best assist them.
Additional Materials for the Delegation
Pictures from the Delegation